Friday, May 20, 2011

Friday Featured Recipe

This week, I wanted to give this recipe a try.  However, the list of ingredients was long and some were just unnecessary, I thought.  Most of all I wanted to lighten it up.  I came up with these Chicken & Spinach Enchiladas.  I made them up ahead of time and popped them in the fridge until dinner time.  I served them with a side of rice and sauteed squash and zucchini.  They were delicious and I will certainly file this recipe in my box!!  (Sorry the pic isn't the best.  My camera is acting up.)



Chicken & Spinach Enchiladas
1 frozen chicken breast, cooked and chopped
2 oz. canned, diced green chiles
1 c. frozen corn
2-3 c. fresh spinach, torn into pieces (you could use frozen, but drain it well)
4 oz. mexican shredded cheese
4 oz. cream cheese
salt/pepper to taste
couple dashes onion powder (or chopped onion)
8 medium flour tortillas

Sauce:
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
chili powder/cumin/onion powder/garlic powder/salt
(just season to your liking)
1/2 c. water to thin
directions: Heat all together, adding more water in needed.  Adjust seasoning if needed. (Sorry I don't have exact measurements on this.  I'm kind of a taste it and see what it needs type of cook!)



Spray skillet with cooking spray.  Stir corn and green chiles over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, until tender.  Add chicken.  Heat through.  Add in seasoning to taste.  Add in spinach and stir until just wilted.  Stir in cheeses and stir until melted.  Place mixture in center of each tortilla and place, seam side down, in sprayed dish.  Bake, uncovered, @ 350 for about 15 minutes (30 min. if made ahead and cold).    Top with sauce.  Bake another 10-15 minutes.

**We had the leftovers for lunch today, and they were just as good reheated.  The best part is that they don't get soggy and fall apart!**

No comments:

Post a Comment