Friday, May 20, 2011

Hay Bale Garden Update #1 - See How the Garden Grows

If you are new here, you can read about the start of my hay bale garden here.  


My hay bale garden is growing right along!    I have tomatoes, squash and peppers (bell and jalapeno) growing great!  I lost a few of my squash plants when my dog decided she needed to "hunt" them!  That's when we added to fence.  This is such an easy garden.  No bending.  No squatting.  No digging.  Water a couple times a day is all that's needed!  (Every few weeks, I'll add a little blood meal to the tops of the bales.)  I even have a few bell peppers already!!  I'm ready to start eating them!!

4 comments:

  1. I have heard so much about this. Very neat. Where did you get the bales of hay? And did you start by seed or plant?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought the bales at a feed store and I started with small plants rather than seeds. You can do either, but if you start with seeds you would need soil on the top of the bale to plant them in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blood meal is just food. I buy organic and that's why I prefer it. I don't like all the chemical stuff. You can get it at any feed store or Lawn and Garden store.

    ReplyDelete