Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Weekly Grocery Shopping Trip

I made my weekly grocery shopping trip to Walmart and Target this morning.  Thanks to all the stockpiling I've been doing and the amount of food in my freezer, I didn't need much.  I ran to Walmart and grabbed the few staples we needed (milk, bread, produce, etc.)  I grabbed a frozen pizza to have this week since I had a $1 coupon for a Red Baron Pan Pizza.  These are priced at my Walmart at $4.98 so I got it for $3.98.  Not a huge savings since they weren't on rollback but $3.98 for an entire meal is not bad.  I also had a $2.50 coupon for Jimmy Dean Breakfast Sandwiches (which I would never buy unless it was a REALLY good deal).  These are priced at $4.98 for 4 sandwiches so I picked them up for $2.48 or $0.62 per sandwich.  Not a bad deal.  I had to grab baby food too and it is VERY rare to get a great deal on baby food.  There are usually not any coupons out there.  He is mostly on finger foods, but I still grabbed a few containers of fruit.  My total at Walmart was $28.35.  And by the way, milk is still on rollback at my Walmart for $1.78.  It's been that price for a while and I sure hope it stays that way!

Then, I ran over to Target.  I can usually get some great deals at Target and this is the store where I do a lot of stockpiling.  Since I didn't spend much of my grocery budget this week, I figured I would take advantage of the price cuts and get a few things that I didn't necessarily need this week but would use later on.  I allow around $10 a week of my normal budget for stockpiling but only if I find a good deal.  I only stockpile an item if it is at a super low price.  For example, PF Goldfish crackers normally run about $2/ bag.  They were on sale at Albertson's for $1/bag a few weeks ago.  I price matched them and grabbed 10 bags for $10.  Hopefully, they will last until the next sale rolls around.  Here is what I found at Target:

  • Christmas Clearance is now at 75% off and it looked like they still had quite a bit left.  I didn't need anything but thought that I'd let you know.
  • Gerber baby clothes (onsie's, pj's, bibs, etc) are on clearance at 30% off.  They had 2 pk fleece blanket sleepers on clearance for $4.98 (half price) which equals out to only $2.49 per pajama.   I grabbed a pack of these. (Although, I may go get more later.)
  • Ortega Taco Shells were on price cut for $1.25 for a box of 10.  There is a printable coupon for $1 off of any 2 Ortega products which equals out to $0.75 each when you buy 2 boxes.
  • Several types of Market Pantry bags of frozen breaded chicken were on price cut for $4.  There is a printable Target coupon for $3/2.  This makes them only $2.50 per bag.  I grabbed chicken tenders and chicken patties.
  • Kraft shredded cheese was on price cut for $2.  I used a $0.75 printable Target coupon to get it for $1.25.  I've seen it cheaper, but $1.25 is not bad.  This is not a stockup price, however.
  • I forgot the bread at Walmart so I grabbed it here for $1.89.  About the same price as Walmart. 
My total spent at Target was $14.62 before taxes (but only $9.64 was groceries!).

My grand total on groceries this week: $37.99 for a family of 4!!

I plan on going to CVS and Walgreen's later today to check out the deals there.  I'll let you know what I find!

Did you find a great deal at Target this week?  I would love to hear about it.  Please share it in a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment